Mash and Boil (mini grainfather)

Mash and Boil (mini grainfather)

Postby Jimmy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm testing the waters with electric brewing.
I bought a Mash and Boil for $299 from Williamsbrewing.
Had 2 20amp circuits installed in the garage; it does run on a 15amp circuit.
Built an electric HLT.
Concerns are mainly boil off rate.

Here's the initial run with only water.
4:25pm 62* starting water, 6.5 gallons
5:33pm 164* temp hit and turned temp up to 220*.
*An hour to get to temp, not impressive but it would give you time to get the grain crushed while waiting.
6:15pm Sitting at 215* and holding.
*Boil is better than I thought.
7:15pm 1 hour boil over, boil-off rate was .5 gallon for the hour.

Movie of the boil.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgnTVvRCSXf_hYkmbLtVPLHvoTUcDw

At this point I'm impressed. It's going to be a heck of lot less cleaning and watching over everything. No more trying to get grain out of the mash cooler, won't be missing that. I'm used to 1.5 gallon boil off rate and this thing does .5 gallon. I'll have to keep that in mind cause it gives me 1 gallon less sparge. Be fine to run this in the kitchen if you are like me and enjoy watching movies while brewing.
Friends don't let friends drink flavorless American factory beers.
Jimmy

Re: Mash and Boil (mini grainfather)

Postby Charlie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 pm

The new brew thingy arrived? Cool!

Let me know when you're brewing with it because I want to pop by and see it in action.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Ended up being off today to watch kid. And I had the grain. And I had the yeast. And I had the new machine.
Did a trial run on the house Oktoberfest recipe. Wanted to see it in action before everyone comes over and sees it so I could get some kinks out of the process.

Amazingly simple to use. Got to boil fairly quick. Burned off 1gallon wort per hour which is better than the 1/2 gallon I was getting during the water only tests. Had some issues with the built in temperature monitor being about 10 minutes behind in time compated to a gauge I trust. Maybe because the temp gauge is 1" from the heating element. I hit all the numbers and the efficiency hit at 70.5%. 74-78%+ is my normal range so that's a bit low. The batch sparge method doesn't feel as solid for yield that my normal batch sparge does; just felt like I lost a lot of sugar. The mash had me concerned.. with 12lbs grain using 4.5 gallons it was thick like oatmeal. My mash normally is on the thin side so this had me concerned. I vorlaufed from the bottom and poured on top every 15 minutes at stir time to keep it wet. May use an extra gallon in the mash and boil for an extra hour; carmel is good :lol: . Cleanup.. well hell, under 15 minutes, no joke. No grain got through the filter into the boil, use a hop strainer as well and to be honest, it's by far the cleanest brew I've ever put into a fermenter. I've got a ton of notes to go through to work out my procedure, I'll post that when I get it up. All in all, it's a great gear but you do miss the fun of moving the wort around in coolers and such. Total time was right at 5 hours and normally it's 4.5 hours for me so the time to heat up the wort costed me time that was easily made up in the cleaning time. No chance of failover and not much cleaning to keep up with so I actually watched tv in the house while it was going. SWEET !!
Jimmy

Postby Charlie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Interesting. 70% efficiency doesn't bother me much. I only get 75% on my keggle fly sparge rig.

Can't wait to see it in operation!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:09 am

Can't fault the fermentation start.
20170218_085313.jpg
20170218_085313.jpg (101.48 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Made two beers with this setup so far. Each hit the FG on the nose. Happy with the system but not tossing out the water coolers yet. Working on a simple brew structure to hold it all.
Jimmy

Return to Brewing Equipment