Newest Member

Stop by and let everyone know who you are, your brewing history, etc.

Re: Newest Member

Postby Jimmy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

The .5 gallon was with water. With wort it's just under 1 gallon.
Friends don't let friends drink flavorless American factory beers.
Jimmy

Postby Morfieus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Jimmy wrote:The .5 gallon was with water. With wort it's just under 1 gallon.

I'd be happy with both.. LoL :-)

jballen wrote:My HLT has a 5500 watt ss hot water tank element and my 20 gallon kettle has a 5000 watt boil coil . I love my electric system. My boil off rate is 1.5 gallins per hour. You are welcome to join me on brew day to see how well my system performs. I've used both propane and electric. I'll never go back to propane.

Jim

I would love too, all I have ever used is a natural gas stove top, so any experience I can gain with another setup before jumping off into it, would be magical for me. I'm building a propane forge, so its the main reason I was looking into LP, mainly via the darkstar burner.

~David

P.S. I appreciate all the replies, opinions and advise, Up until I met charlie and then y'all, I swore I was only the only home brewer on planet Hosston! so Thanks!!
~David
Morfieus

Postby Charlie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Morfieus wrote: debating in my head between electric or LP.

I like an electric HLT and a gas fired boil kettle. The reason is that I can set the temp on the HLT and let the controller worry about it, but I prefer a gas fired BK because I like kettle caramelization. Explanation is here:

https://www.ratebeer.com/forums/kettle-caramelization-maillard-reaction-and-unfermentables_91714.htm

Kettle caramelization produces unfermentable (caramelized) sugars of various types. That's one of the reasons that it's impossible to reproduce a particular beer exactly without brewing it on the same equipment that the original beer was brewed on.

Isn't this a fascinating hobby? :lol:

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Introductions